Aboriginal Cancer Care Program
The Cancer Care Program is a new program launched by VNHS in response to the rising incidence of cancer among Aboriginal people. The program aims to build a community of support for individuals who receive a cancer diagnosis, their families and loved ones as well as cancer survivors.
The Cancer Care Program also aims to:
- Increase awareness, prevention and
- screening opportunities for early detection of cancer,
- Create partnerships with existing cancer agencies and programs to build a culturally supportive cancer program within the Medicine Wheel’s four quadrants, and
- Build on the strengths of Aboriginal people in managing their cancer journey.
The program offers health kitchens, talking circles, cancer resource information, education, support training as well as elder support.
Healing Circle -TBA - Fall
UVIC - Self-Management BC
The Aboriginal Cancer Care Program and Self-Management BC/UVIC's -Institute on Aging & Lifelong Health have been working together in the delivery of the following Self-Management workshops:
- Cancer Thriving and Surviving
- Chronic Conditions
- Become a Leader Training
For workshop information check out the website http://www.selfmanagementbc.ca
Next workshop is...